How to get rid of spiders
Information, facts and resources to help you deal with an infestation of spiders and, if the worst happens, how to destroy the spiders and prevent this household pests return.
What does a spider look like?
- Spiders are arachnids and have eight legs.
- Spiders are predatory insects.
- Spiders have two body segments, no chewing mouth parts and no wings.
- All spiders produce silk which is used in web-spinning, climbing and hunting prey.
- Spiders are one of the most common insects.
- The vast majority of spiders in the world are harmless to humans.
Where do spiders live?
- Spider live in cracks, crevices and holes around the house.
- Spiders seek shelter in homes during the colder winter months.
What are the signs of a spider infestation?
- Spiders and their webs are sighted in the home.
- Many young spiders may be seen (all the same size) following hatching.
What do spiders eat?
- Spiders feed on insects.
- Spiders spin webs to catch flies, and other flying and crawling insects.
Why must spiders be controlled?
- Spiders are considered benificial insects and are predators on the more obnoxious insects such as house flies and blue bottles.
- Consider tolerating them as an environmentally frindly way of controlling other unwanted household pests.
How can I get rid of spiders?
- Spiders numbers can be controlled by eliminating their food source - get rid of other house hold pests.
- Spiders and their webs can be vacuumed and / or dusted out of corners and from ceilings.
- As spiders can be considered as beneficial insects, considering capturing them in a beaker or container, without harm, and releasing the spider away from the home.
How can I prevent spiders from returning?
- Eliminate food sources by controlling other household pests such as flies.
- Get rid of excessive clutter in attics, basements and in storage areas.
- Almost any other insect infestation provides food for spiders, so eliminate the source of the spiders food.
- Adopt a zero-tolerance policy to signs of spiders instantly removing web material.
Spider Poisons and Spider Pesticides
- Spider dusting powder can be used in extreme cases.
- Pesticides are available from garden centres and hardware stores for the control of spiders. Read and follow the instructions on the product label precisely. Use only products that state on the label that it may be used to control spiders.
- Remember, pesticides can be poisonous to children and pets. After use store container and contents away from children, or dispose of empty container safely.
The "Green Option" - Environmentally friendly control of Spiders
- Consider tolerating spiders as beneficial insects.
- Capture spiders without harming them and release them away from the home.
- Control spiders access to a food source by eliminating other insects that spiders feed on.
Spiders : Household Pests
Extermine common household pests; control and eradication information - online eradication of household pests!
(Press Ctrl and D - to bookmark)